CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

9/26/2010

18. Try 25 new recipes (5/25)

Tonight I made "Brown Bag Burritos." That is the link to the original recipe, I posted mine below with a few changes. Glen & I have been struggling with lunches lately. We usually eat leftovers, sandwiches or takeout. I'm not sure what changed - maybe I've been cooking smaller portions, or we've been eating larger ones. Either way, we often are coming up short with easy lunches to grab. I had bookmarked this recipe a few weeks ago and couldn't wait to try it.

I figured out the cost, and it's approximately $.60/burrito. Even if Glen eats 2 for lunch, that still costs less than $2 for a great home cooked lunch. We have not tried them yet, but we both tasted the filling several times and it was soo good! I will definitely try these again, and I may add rice next time!

Brown Bag Burritos

  • 2 lb. ground beef (I used ground turkey)
  • 2 cans refried beans
  • 1 1/3 c. enchilada sauce (I used 8oz tomato sauce, 1/3 cup salsa)
  • 1/2 c. water (omitted)
  • 1/3 c. minced onion
  • 1 Tbsp. chili powder (I used 1 tsp)
  • 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • 3 c. shredded cheese (cheddar, Mexican blend, whatever)
  • 20 flour tortillas (burrito-size) (I only used 18)

Brown ground beef; drain. Add remaining ingredients (except tortillas). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

Heat 3-4 tortillas at a time. (I heated 4 at a time, between 2 damp paper towels for 45 seconds in the microwave)

Spoon 1/4 c. beef mixture down the side of each tortilla. (1/4 cup = 3 heaping tbsp. I used 4-5 tbsp in each burrito. It was easy to scoop with the small tablespoon, instead of a big serving spoon)

Roll up. Wrap each burrito in a paper towel, then wrap in foil. Refrigerate or freeze. I like to pack them in the tortilla ziplock bag. When ready to eat, remove foil and microwave for about a minute. The paper towel keeps the burritos moist. If you’re eating on the run, though, just grab and go!

0 comments:

Post a Comment